Monday, May 4, 2009

I love to cook "fancier" dishes, not the kind of stuff you would find in just any magazine, or the box of something you buy at the grocery store. That is not to say I don't like this kind of grub. Every once in a while I get a hankering for some Hamburger Helper or a casserole. So tonight I decided to indulge myself for a Mexican feast on Cinco de Mayo's Eve. ¡Salud!

Tonight's Menu - Enchilada Casserole

Begin with a hot skillet over medium-high heat, to which you will add chopped onion (one medium), ground beef, cumin, chili powder, a little bit of soy sauce and some kosher salt and fresh pepper (of course).


After this has cooked drain off any fat and add a can of pinto beans (rinsed and drained), some green chiles and fresh chopped cilantro. Mix together and set aside.


In a bowl mix together an 8oz container of sour cream, a couple tablespoons of flour and some garlic powder. Set aside.


Now comes the layering part, this is a bit like a Mexican lasagna. Get a rectangular baking dish, 2 quart, and grease the bottom. Add tortillas to cover the bottom, then half of meat mixture, half the sour cream mixture, half a can of enchilada sauce and some cheese (I used a sharp cheddar). You repeat the layers except for the cheese.


Now you can cover with plastic wrap and chill for up to 24 hours. When ready remove the plastic, cover with foil and slide it into a 350° oven for about 40 minutes. When the timer dings, or beeps, remove the foil and top with the rest of the cheese.


This will go back in the oven for another five minutes uncovered. I like to let it rest out of the oven for about ten minutes to solidify a bit, then plate up! I added more fresh cilantro, some green onion, sour cream and paprika. Accompanied by tortilla chips and your favorite salsa. This is not a really fancy meal but it tastes damn good.


2 comments:

britt said...

Looks delicious. When I make things like this, I usually like to put a little enchilada sauce (loooove green chile) on the bottom before the tortillas.

Unknown said...

That looks so good! I think I will try it sometime soon!

Post a Comment